The Olaf Timewaster

It's all explained in my 9/22/04 post...

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Why Timewaster?

It may seem obvious at first, but there's more to it.
When I was in elementary school my best friend and I (shout out to Mike Winder...haven't seen you in ages) used to have a good laugh at the way we thought adults thought. We thought that they thought that anything exciting was not worth doing and anything that was boring they would love. My family took Mike with us a few times on trips to amusement parks. We would laugh about how some parents must just call rollercoasters "timewasters." You know...as if anyone would want to spend their money on "the timewaster."
It grew, over time, to mean anything fun that we enjoyed as kids. If we went to the mall and saw something we wanted (video games, toys, anything) one would always tell the other "I guess if you want to spend it on that timewaster you can." We'd explain things to each other in terms of "spending time on the timewaster yesterday" or whenever...
Something close to 20 years has gone by since that time and I wish I could spend more time on timewasters. My kids' favorite timewaster now is running up and down the halls. Back and forth. Time and again. Is life still that simple? I'll bet they'd call what I'm typing right now "boring" and wonder how I could waste my time on something such as this...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home