The Olaf Timewaster

It's all explained in my 9/22/04 post...

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 09, 2006

What I'm Watching

This fall I've found myself watching more TV that I have in the last 6 or 7 years. Normally my TV watching increases in the fall because of football season, but I'm also watching more network shows that ever before.

Many moons ago I pared back my cable choices to the most basic (called Limited Basic in my Comcastic land) which seemed to be good enough. Sure, I'd miss Comedy Central & ESPN and the kids would miss Cartoon Network and Disney, but we got by just fine. Then a few years ago I decided to get an HDTV and subscribed to the HD (only $5 more!) stations that were offered. This added a few channels (namely INHD, DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD) that had some good programming I'd been missing, but I didn't increase very much...

At this time my main TV shows were 24 & American Idol (sue me...whatever) and that's about it. Then I started reading about The Office, Lost, & Arrested Development. Over the summer I rented the 1st season of LOST and got hooked, so I knew that was on my list for the fall season. Same thing with Arrested Development. I wasn't sold on the office quite yet. So I added 2 shows and tentatively a 3rd. Still no biggie because 24 & Idol didn't start until January anyway so the fall was open! Jason Lee is a favorite of mine and since his new show was on before the Office, it didn't hurt to add that too.

Somewhere in here I decided I needed a DVR so I went with Windows Media Center. Of course this (last fall) happened to be the demise of AD and the rise of the Office. I also sprinkled in some shows my wife likes more than me: House & Numb3rs. So the next summer was spent watching the British Office series and catching up with American Office episodes I missed.
At the beginning of the summer NBC started an intriguing (now genius, I say) campaign for Heroes that was enough to get me to watch. Friday Night Lights seemed too teenagey-O.C. for me and the while the movie was good it was not great. Really only one television show survived from silver to living room screens (M.A.S.H.). The last one that tried (if I remember correctly) was My Big Fat Greek whatever. BFG the movie was far more popular than FNL and that TV show tanked. Studio 60 & 30 rock had people I liked, but they seemed like the same show. I can't watch everything every night, so I limited myself to adding Heroes (M) only and sticking with House (T), Lost (W), Earl & Office (Th), Numbers (F).

So with this fall it was going to be 1 hour of programming every night (not counting sunday & monday football) which seemed like more than enough for me. What I didn't count on was catching the end of the pilot for Friday Night Lights. It floored me and I became an instant fan. What can I say? Then NBC moved Scrubs to Thursdays when I'm watching NBC anyway...this could turn out to be more hours than I bargained for. AND 24 & Idol start up in January competing with at least 2 shows I'm watching on NBC....egads.

How did I come to nurse at the boob tube?

(The rest of the article is at Gone-Elsewhere)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home