The Olaf Timewaster

It's all explained in my 9/22/04 post...

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Travis Hoffman

The first time I really ventured out on my own and found a band I really liked was sometime back in '93/'94. "The Crow" soundtrack had come out and it was THE rock soundtrack to get. Tons of great songs that I can't even bring to mind right now (how memorable); but there was one that caught my attention more than the others: "Slipslide Melting" by For Love Not Lisa.
There was a name I'd never heard before. How weird...I thought. I wondered if they had an album out. So, a trip to the Wherehouse turned up Merge, their major label debut with Slipslide Melting on it. I gave it a whirl and was presently surprised.
After following the strict rules of CD listening (which I didn't know I had at the time) I found that the "hit" (as usual) was not my favorite song. It was a song called "Travis Hoffman" which was a 6-minute song that never seemed to drag or repeat.
I won't go into long descriptions, but taking that one chance on FLNL and Mike Lewis really shaped a great deal of the music I came to like in the future and even today. I can sense their influence on my ears when I pull out the album every couple of years or so. I'm instantly transported back to the days I listened alone in my room or in the car. I tried to get others to listen, but they couldn't hear what I heard. Very few of my friends became fans of their music.
It was frustrating, but I was OK with that. Everyone needs to like what they like for their own reasons. Especially with music, you know? Become a fan of something because YOU like it...not just because everyone else does.
FLNL was also the first (and only) band I ever wrote a letter to. A few months later, I even got a letter back. I ended up on their mailing list and found out about the new band (Puller) and other things throughout the years. It was fun - all because of a soundtrack and a man named Travis that I'd never met....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home